I started keeping a cleaning kit for Frank-related dirt a few years back. Some of the items therein are rabbit-specific (like the Orange-Oxy), but many are things I have otherwise around the house (like a dustpan) – I didn’t think to get doubles of these until after I’d spent some time living with Frank, but now I find it’s very useful to have everything in one place:
- Hand broom and dustpan
- Litter scoop (a large, heavy metal scoop really is worth the extra cost)
- Spray bottle filled with white vinegar (for urine stains on solid surfaces, including build-up in litter boxes) – you can get empty spray bottles at dollar stores, hardware stores, grocery stores, etc.
- Spray bottle filled with commercial stain remover (for urine stains on upholstery)
- Cleaning cloths or paper towels
- Sticky roller (for removing fur from upholstery and clothing)
- Small compost bin for litter and vegetable waste
That last item, I don’t keep in the caddy, but I do find it incredibly useful. I feel lucky to live in a municipality with weekly compost pick-up. I’ve heard, though, that rabbit feces is a wonderful fertilizer – sometimes I picture all those wide-gardened folks in the suburbs and think of selling Frank’s waste. I wouldn’t be surprised if someone is already doing this!
Any other brilliant cleaning tips out there??